Main Article Content
Prosodic elements are the essential elements in human beings’ speech that can be used to know what the speakers of an utterance exactly mean when they are speaking. This research was a work of analysis on prosody of speech to know the emotion and the meaning of utterances. Descriptive qualitative type of research model was employed in this research. The object of the research was Mariah Carey’s speech when she was receiving a special award named the Billboard artist of the decade in 1999. The researcher was interested in not only knowing about Mariah Carey’s emotion and meaning when she was delivering her speech but also finding other uses of prosodic elements which were not found in the supporting previous literatures used in this research. Moreover, the possible contribution which these research findings could contribute to the EFL teaching and learning was also addressed. It is evident that prosody definitely has significant contribution in EFL teaching and learning especially in improving speaking and reading comprehension skills.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Aguert, M et al. 2013. Inferring Emotions from Speech Prosody: Not So Easy at Age Five. Plos One. 8(12), 1-8
- Coulthard, M. 1985. An Introduction to Discourse Analysis: New Edition. London: Longman
- Haryono, Ahmad. 2015. Etnografi Komunikasi Konsep, Metode, dan Contoh Penelitian Pola Komunikasi. Jember: UPT Penerbitan Unej
- Mitchell, R.L.C and Xu, L. 2015. What is the Value of Embedding Artificial Emotional Prosody in Human-Computer Interactions? Implication for Theory and Design in Psychological Science. Frontiers in Psychology. 6(1750), 1-7
- Rathina, X. A, Mehata, K.M and Ponnavaikko, M. 2012. Basic Analysis on Prosodic Features in Emotional Speech. International Journal of Computer Science, Enginerig and Application. 2(4), 99-107
- Rumaiyah, S, Savitri, A.D. 2013. Prosodi Pisuhan Jamput Pada Penutur Jawa Surabaya. Jurnal Sapala. 1(1), 1-7
- Sbattella, L, dkk. 2014. Extracting Emotions and Communication Styles from Prosody. Berlin: Springer
- Sonia, B, Lotfi, B.A. 2016. The Importance of Prosody in a Proper English Pronunciation for EFL Learners. Arab World English Journal. 7(2), 316-327
- Stephen, M.A. 2011. Why Exposure to Prosody Should Precede the Teaching of Reading. The Language Teacher. 35(4), 68-73
- Schwartz, R and Pell, M.D. 2012. Emotiona Speech Processing at the Intersection of Prosody and Semantics. Plos One. 7(10), 1-9
- Traxler, M.J, Gernsbacher, M.A, 2006. Handbook of Psycholinguistics 2nd ed. London: Elsevier
- Yenkimaleki, M, van Heuven, V.J. 2016. Prosody Teaching Matters in Developing Speaking Skills for Farsi-English Interpreter Trainees: An Experimental Study. iInternational Journal of English Language and Linguistic Research. 4(5), 82-91
- Maineormimi (Uploader). 2007. Mariah Carey – Artist of the Decade 90’s. Retrieved February 2nd, 2017, from https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YQS5SHHl8u0&hl=id&gl=ID