Main Article Content
This study aimed to enhance students’ vocabulary mastery through the use of song worksheet. Twenty-two fourth graders of an elementary school in Indonesia were selected as participants. Action research was adopted in this study consisting of three cycles. To find out students’ achievement, vocabulary test was given. To investigate students’ responses, observation and interview were implemented. Findings showed that song worksheet could enhance students’ vocabulary mastery. They also gave positive responses to the use of song worksheet. However, students complained that the songs were too fast. This study supports the use of songs in the EFL context which could make teaching-learning processes more fun.
- Arévalo, E.A.R, (2010). The use of songs as a tool to work on listening and culture in EFL classes. Cuadernos de Lingüística Hispánica, 15,121-138.
- Diakou, M. (2013). Using Songs to Enhance Language Learning and Skills in the Cypriot Primary EFL Classroom. Unpublished doctoral thesis, The Open University, UK.
- Harmer, J. (2012). The practice of English language teaching. New York: Pearson Longman.
- Nunan, D. (1991). Language Teaching Methodology: A Textbook for Teachers. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Kaymakcı, S. (2012). A Review of Studies on Worksheets in Turkey. US-China Education Review A 1, 57 - 64.
- Lee, C.D. (2014). Worksheet Usage, Reading Achievement, Classes’ Lack of Readiness, and Science Achievement: A Cross-Country Comparison. International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology, 2(2), 95-106.
- Richards, J.C., and Renandya, W.A. (2002). Methodology language teaching: An anthology of current practice. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Saricoban, A., & Metin, E. E. (2000). Songs, verse and games for teaching grammar. The Internet TESL Journal, 6(10). Retrieved January 18, 2016 from http://iteslj.org/Techniques//Saricoban-Songs.html
- Şevik, M. (2014). Young EFL learner beliefs about classroom songs. International Journal of English and Education, 3(1), 50-59.
- Shaffer, David E. (2004). The Effectiveness of Song-Based EFL Instruction at the Tertiary Level. STEM Journal, 5(2), pp. 83-100.
- Tse, A.Y.H. (2015). Malaysian Teachers’ Perspectives on Using Songs in English Language Teaching. International Journal of Social Science and Humanity 5(1), pp. 87-89.