Main Article Content
Background and Aims. Anemia is a condition when the number of red blood cells or hemoglobin is lower than the normal number. The main cause of anemia is a lack of factors for the formation and maturation of red blood cells. Vitamin B12 plays a role in the synthesis and maturation of red blood cells, a lack of this vitamin will cause the formation and maturation of red blood cells to be disrupted.
Method. This was an experimental animal study with twelve rats with frederer’s family. The rat was fed a Vitamin B12 Deficient Diet for 16 weeks as the treatment group and standard diet as the control group. Vitamin B12 in the liver was analyzed in rats for 16 weeks. Hemoglobin and MCV were analyzed in plasma for 16 weeks. Results are expressed as means of control, and test animals were established by ANOVA using SPSS 20.0 software
Results. In the present study, we found that liver vitamin B12 level was decreased in treatments groups compares to the positive control group at sixteen weeks (p<0.01). Hemoglobin was decreased in the treatment group compare positive control group at sixteen weeks (p<0.001). Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV) was increased in the treatment group's compare positive control group at sixteen weeks (p<0.01)
Conclusions. Our findings demonstrate that vitamin B12 deficiency decreased hemoglobin and increased MCV.
- Thimmappa N, S. B. V, G. P, B. K. S. Evaluation of clinical, biochemical and hematological parameters in macrocytic anemia. Int J Adv Med. 2019;6(2):489.
- Zhu Y, Minović I, Dekker LH, Eggersdorfer ML, van Zon SKR, Reijneveld SA, et al. Vitamin status and diet in elderly with low and high socioeconomic status: The lifelines-MINUTHE study. Nutrients [Internet]. 2020;12(9):1–17.
- Kumar KJ, Kumar VHS, Kulkarni P, Jayashree K. Prevalence of folate deficiency among adolescent school girls in rural areas of Mysuru district, Karnataka, India. Sri Lanka J Child Heal [Internet]. 2020;49(3):230–4.
- Wolffenbuttel BHR, Wouters HJCM, de Jong WHA, Huls G, van der Klauw MM. Association of vitamin B12, methylmalonic acid, and functional parameters. Neth J Med [Internet]. 2020;78(1):10–24.
- Padalino B, Rubino G, Lacinio R, Petazzi F. A New Classification to Diagnose Type of Anemia in Standardbred Horses: A Retrospective Study. J Equine Vet Sci [Internet]. 2016;44:21–5. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jevs.2016.03.004
- Amani P, Prijanti AR, Jusuf AA, Kartinah NT, Ujianti I, Murthi AK, et al. Cobalamin restriction with AIN-93M chow modification: Hematology and cardiovascular parameter assessment. In: AIP Conference Proceedings. 2019.
- Brzeźniakiewicz-Janus K, Rupa-Matysek J, Tukiendorf A, Janus T, Franków M, Lancé MD, et al. Red Blood Cells Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV) and Red Blood Distribution Width (RDW) Parameters as Potential Indicators of Regenerative Potential in Older Patients and Predictors of Acute Mortality – Preliminary Report. Stem Cell Rev Reports [Internet]. 2020;16(4):711–7.
- Malik A, Trilok-Kumar G. Status of Vitamin B12 among healthy adult and elderly population in India: A review. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) [Internet]. 2020;66:S361–8.
- Rakshitha, Rao GM, Saritha Kamath U. Effect of vitamin b12 supplementation on neurologic and cognitive functions in older peoplea review. Biomed [Internet]. 2020;40(3):264–6.
- Derin S, Koseoglu S, Sahin C, Sahan M. Effect of vitamin B12 deficiency on olfactory function. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2016;6(10):1051–5.
- Al-Hamdi A, Al-Gahhafi M, Al-Roshdi S, Jaju S, Al-Mamari A, Al Mahrezi AM. Vitamin B12 deficiency in diabetic patients on metformin therapy: A cross-sectional study from oman. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J [Internet]. 2020;20(1):e90–4.
- Shipton MJ, Johal NJ, Dutta N, Slater C, Iqbal Z, Ahmed B, et al. Haemoglobin and Hematinic Status Before and After Bariatric Surgery over 4 years of Follow-Up. Obes Surg [Internet]. 2021;31(2):682–93.
- Chiang C-P, Wu Y-C, Chang JY-F, Wang Y-P, Wu Y-H, Sun A. Anemia, hematinic deficiencies, hyperhomocysteinemia, and gastric parietal cell antibody positivity in atrophic glossitis patients with iron deficiency. J Formos Med Assoc [Internet]. 2020;119(2):587–94.
- Jin Y-T, Wu Y-C, Wu Y-H, Chang JY-F, Chiang C-P, Sun A. Anemia, hematinic deficiencies, hyperhomocysteinemia, and gastric parietal cell antibody positivity in burning mouth syndrome patients with or without microcytosis. J Dent Sci [Internet]. 2021;
- Al-Musharaf S, McTernan PG, Hussain SD, Aleisa KA, Alnaami AM, Wani K, et al. Prevalence and indicators of vitamin b12 insufficiency among young women of childbearing age. Int J Environ Res Public Health [Internet]. 2021;18(1):1–13.
- Koseoglu SZA, Toprak D, Dogan N. The relationship between BMI, WHR and serum vitamin B12, folic acid and ferritin levels in adults. Prog Nutr [Internet]. 2020;22(1):127–36.
- Devi A, Rush E, Harper M, Venn B. Vitamin b12 status of various ethnic groups living in new zealand: An analysis of the adult nutrition survey 2008/2009. Nutrients. 2018;10(2).
- Watson J, Lee M, Garcia-Casal MN. Consequences of Inadequate Intakes of Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, and Folate in Older Persons. Curr Geriatr Reports. 2018;7(2):103–13.